The key to perfectly grilled steak tips is a good soy-based marinade like this one, made with soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic (260 calories or 7 WW points).
Memorial Day is just a week away and summer’s right behind it, so what we need now is a surefire steak marinade for all the grilling we’re about to do. These juicy grilled steak tips are marinated in a garlicky, soy marinade made of soy sauce, brown sugar, scallion, garlic, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, and olive oil. Soy sauce is always a magic ingredient in marinades, and especially steak marinades, since it tenderizes and brings out the flavor of the beef. The brown sugar balances the soy and caramelizes on the grill, while the sesame oil adds depth.
Steak tips are more of a Massachusetts thing, but you can use flank steak or even skirt steak in this recipe with great results!
Grilled Steak Tips with Soy Marinade
The key to perfectly grilled steak tips is a good soy-based marinade like this one, made with soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic (260 calories or 7 WW points).Prep Time1 hr 10 minsCook Time20 minsTotal Time1 hr 30 minsCourse: BeefCuisine: AmericanKeyword: grilled steak tips, steak marinades, steak tips Servings: 6 servings Calories: 260kcal Author: Andie Mitchell
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds sirloin steak tips trimmed (each about 1-inch-thickness)
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce, brown sugar, scallion, garlic, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, and olive oil.
- Pour into a gallon-sized sealable plastic bag, add the steak tips, and seal the bag, pressing as much air out as you can. Turn the bag a few times to move the marinade around, coating the steak. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours, flipping the bag halfway through to make sure the steak marinates evenly.
- Preheat your gas grill with all burners on high and close the lid (15 minutes). When the grill is hot, lower all of the burners to medium-high. Remove the steak tips from the bag, discard the marinade, and arrange on the grill. Cover and cook until the undersides of the tips have deep grill marks, 8-10 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until browned and the steak registers 130 degrees on instant-read thermometer (for medium doneness), about 8 more minutes.
- The steak should be slightly less done than you want (since it will continue to cook off of the grill).
- Transfer to a plate, tent with foil, and let the steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing very thin on the bias. Serve.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 534mg | Sugar: 3g